No matter what process you use for inventory control, here are some steps to help you along:
- Set a protocol and clean up your database: The inventory software you purchase or create will be will be the base of your management. Educate yourself on how the system works and how your business is run and figure out how to mesh the processes. Scrub your product lists and customer list. Painful but once it’s done, you’ll love it!
- Delegate tasks to the appropriate team member: Decide who will be doing tasks like purchasing, receiving, and marketing. Be willing to take on more tasks. If your procedure must change, be flexible.
- Get familiar with the new inventory software: Make at least one person on your staff the point person to learn the ins and outs of the software. Have them create and play with a demo account before entering in your scrubbed database. This is your time to try to break the system and figure out how the software will work hand-in-hand with your newly established protocol.
- Establish how you will name your products: If needed, create a central location where abbreviations can be kept for reference. This will help you from entering in duplicate parts due to naming them wrong. Using the UPC will help you cut duplicate entry even more.
- Track more than your traditional inventory: Track your assets, including your tools, drop cloths, and all non traditional inventoried items. These items cost your company money. If and when they are lost or broken it will add up. Keep those not involved with receiving and order fulfillment out of warehouse. Fewer fingers in the pot will cut down on items lost. It’s not just about theft but how easily items can be misplaced.
TRXio (pronounced “tracks-i-o”) is a scalable inventory control solution for any size organization and business. TRXio helps you organize inventory, create consistency and minimize costs while providing you accurate and real-time reports, analytics and data on the status and item detail of your products, inventory and equipment.